6:30 Soap Box Derby
It’s Fast and Furious!
It’s the Kirby Derby…Derby!
Saturday, August 26, 6:15pm
Dorothea Dix Park, Harvey Hill
Registration is required. Read rules below and then click link to sign up.
(Please also note: to participate in the Soapbox Derby, you must also be in the parade. You only need to register for the Soapbox Derby, but you must be on location for parade line-up at 5pm)
THE RULES – for real y’all.
Registration is required.
If you’ve got at least 3 wheels, no more than 2 riders, a seat, a steering mechanism, no engine or pedals (gravity only, y’all), working brakes, and wear a helmet, you have all it takes to enter the official Kirby Derby.
The Derby is an adult event, as the curves of the track and the racers themselves can be very unpredictable.
You MUST be ready to race when your name/number is called. If you are not available, you forfeit your position.
- ADULTS 18+ years old ONLY
- ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK (and make sure your health insurance is up to date 🙂 )
- You will need to sign a waiver before racing. Only registered racers will be allowed to race.
- Helmets must be worn
- The vehicle must have working brakes (your shoes are not brakes)
- The vehicle must have at least 3 wheels
- No engine or pedals – this is a gravity-only vehicle
- A push-off is allowed but no other power enabler (i.e. no pedals)
- The vehicle must have a steering mechanism
- Maximum 2 riders – both must be behind the steering column and/or the front wheel(s) – we realize some vehicles are made in a way where this rule needs to be interpreted. The purpose of this rule is for protection of the riders. We want people to protect themselves. Please don’t put yourself in the position to fling yourself headfirst by sitting out front as a hood ornament or doing the old “riding on the handlebars” thing we did as kids.
Remember, winning is in the eye of the beholder (race judge), who might be just not be paying attention at the time. You gotta take wins, losses and fairness in stride and with a lot of salt.
Just like the Olympics, google mapped the racecourse here – Track goes downhill on Umstead, and ends just after the speed bump (there’s a speed bump, y’all!)