4:30 Tha Parade
photo: Marc Ridel Creative
It’s Fabulous. Fantastical. Fanatical.
It’s the Kirby Derby Day Parade!
The parade starts at 4:30pm-ish sharp. Line-up is at 4:00pm at Harvey Hill on Dorothea Dix Park. Specific Line-up location to be noted soon.
PLEASE NOTE: You must participate in the parade to enter the soapbox derby.
Registration is required. Read rules below and then click link to sign up.
Follow the Rules, Y’all.
- Parade entries must somehow relate to the Kirby Derby theme (see home page for theme).
- This is family friendly and should be safe for all participants as well as spectators. Keep safety, visibility and controllability in mind when creating your entry.
- All Parade entries are NON-MOTORIZED. Bring your walking shoes, pedal-based bike and trikes, scooters, or, of course, your gravity-based derby racers. Gas or electric powered vehicles are not permitted.
- Any parade entry on wheels must have proper steering and brake mechanisms, and CANNOT be motorized. It should also have a strong bumper or bar and tow rope.
- Any driver of a wheeled-entry must be sober and must be able to see in front of them and to either side.
- Any entry on wheels should have a walker on each side to help maintain walking speed pace, route navigation and to protect spectators by keeping them out of the way.
- The parade route has a decent hill and turns, so be sure you can navigate effectively and have the strength or help and ability to get up a hill.
- Any children participating in the parade must be accompanied by an adult.
- Don’t make your float too tall. We have trees, y’all.
- If a parade entry is deemed unsafe, offensive or otherwise inappropriate, judges can refuse entry (this has never happened, but just sayin’, be good)
- There will be a judging area on the route. Judging criteria has yet to be determined and will not be shared with the participants until the “awards” are given.
We can almost guarantee that awards will be decided based on judges moods and whims. Awards are for basic bragging rights. They do not have monetary value.