5:30 Soap Box Derby
It’s Fast and Furious!
It’s the Kirby Derby…Derby!
5:30pm, Dorothea Dix Park, Harvey Hill
RACER CHECK-IN 5pm
Registration is required.
Participation in Kirby Derby Parade, Saturday at 4:30pm (4:00 line-up) is also required in order to race.
Read rules below and then click link to sign up.
THE RULES – for real y’all.
Registration is required.
If you’re a thrill seeking adult (in age only) with at least a bit of self preservation and common sense – AND – if you’ve got at least 3 wheels, no more than 2 riders, seat(s) for the rider(s), a steering mechanism, working brakes (!), a helmet, and no motor or pedals (gravity only, y’all) – AND – you read and adhere to the rules below, you basically have what it takes to enter the official Kirby Derby.
The Derby is an adult event, as the curves of the track and the racers themselves can be very unpredictable.
- REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED. Only properly registered racers will be allowed to race.
- ADULTS 18+ years old ONLY
- ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK! You are responsible for your own safety, the safety of your team, and you are responsible for the safety of anyone who comes in contact with your vehicle (and make sure your health insurance is up to date 🙂 )
- PRACTICE RUN IS A TIME TRIAL ON DERBY DAY. The car, car pusher and race-driver must all be present and must participate in this practice run. Please pay attention the few days before the event for further updates.
- PARTICIPATION IN PARADE REQUIRED to race. Parade lineup is at 4:30 (but that could change).
- Helmets must be worn. Real bike helmets or better – NOT homemade.
- The vehicle must have working brakes (your shoes are not brakes)
- The vehicle must have at least 3 wheels
- The vehicle must have a steering mechanism
- No motor, pedals or other elements beyond gravity to move the car forward – this is a gravity-only vehicle
- RENEWED RULE: Maximum 2 riders AND BOTH MUST BE SEATED.
- Any rider must be behind the steering column and/or the front wheel(s) – we realize some vehicles are made in a way where this rule needs to be interpreted. The purpose of this rule is for protection of the riders. We want people to protect themselves. A rider’s body or head should NOT be the first thing to receive impact if there is a wreck. Please don’t put yourself in the position to fling headfirst by sitting out front as a hood ornament or doing the old “riding on the handlebars” thing we did as kids.
- Racer and car must be ready when called to race. Race position is forfeited if not available at time racer is called. All racers should be at the starting line by 5:45pm (subject to change – pay attention)
- A push-off is allowed but no other power enabler (i.e. no pedals)
- NEW RULE: The vehicle might need to be towed in order to get back to the starting line. There should be something on the front or back to enable this to happen, and the whole car should be strong enough so it doesn’t break apart and get strung along the path like a yard sale behind the tow vehicle.
- The body of the vehicle must be made with a healthy dose of common-sense-safety for riders AND for spectators. If your car hits someone, will it impale them? If so, please redesign it. The body of the vehicle must also not put the driver/rider in a vulnerable situation. Example: in a previous year, a car was made of sheet-metal with a hole cut out of top to stick head up through. Don’t do that, y’all!
- Judges maintain the right to refuse a car from the race if it is deemed unsafe, offensive or otherwise inappropriate (this has never happened…but just sayin’ we’re goin’ a bit more legit these days).
Remember, winning is in the eye of the beholder (race judge), who might just not be paying attention at the time. You gotta take wins, losses and fairness in stride and with a lot of salt.
The new course starts at the top intersection of Richardson and Tate, goes downhill and around 2 curves on Richardson, ending on the straightaway before it gets back to the second Tate intersection. Here’s a google street view link (note: many of the buildings showing on street view are no longer there)